JJ's Writing Corner

Every writer needs a quiet place to sit and collect her thoughts. Here is mine.

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

I'm Not Behind!

I have been feeling some guilt about not writing more, but "Day 62" in my last post really caught my eye. I have been a novelist for 62 days. That's only two months! Of course, my page-written count is much lower than I would like, but I've been doing other things that novelists do, like
  • journaling about my writing process and my feelings about writing
  • reading other authors' blogs about their writing process
  • reading a variety of genres to get a feel for what kinds of things I'd like to write
  • writing book reviews to clarify what does and doesn't work in storytelling, characterization, etc.
  • discussing writing with a friend who also writes
  • researching the manuscript submission process, editorial guidelines, etc.
  • starting up a writers group

Like most writers, I also have personal commitments, such as:

  • working 40 hrs/wk at my "day job"
  • attending church and teaching Sunday School
  • attending a weekly Bible study for adults
  • teaching a weekly Bible study for children
  • spending quality time with my husband and other important people in my life
  • working through some major personal issues with the help of a counselor

(I'm also in the process of applying for a more challenging job AND hoping to start graduate school in the fall.)

YES, my time is limited. YES, I need to spend more time writing. NO, I'll never publish a novel if I don't sit down and write the pages.

Still, I need to remember--and to remind myself--that this is all part of the process of becoming who I am meant to be, and that means finding balance, not judging the worth of my life by the number of pages I've written.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home